Lesson Rates, Studio Schedule and General Guidelines
- Studio lesson fees are $38.00 per 30-minute lesson, $50.00 per 45-minute lesson, and $65.00 per 60-minute lesson. Students* are charged per lesson (*for the purposes of this studio policy, “student” is used to represent parents/guardians if students are minors). Lessons are paid at least one month in advance by cash, check, or electronic bank payment before or at the last scheduled lesson of the ending month (Note: If the last lesson of the ending month is cancelled, payments are still due by that day at the latest). A $10 fee will be applied to late payments.
- In the event that a check does not clear, the student agrees to pay the amount owed, any bank fees that the teacher incurred as a result, plus 10% of the amount owed.
- For the academic year 2018-2019, students will be scheduled for weekly lessons beginning on August 19, 2018, through May 23, 2019, with the following exceptions:
- September 2 and 3, 2018 (Labor Day weekend)
- November 18 – 24, 2018 (Thanksgiving Break)
- December 23, 2018 – January 07, 2019 (Winter Break)
- March 10 – 16, 2019 (Spring Break)
Although unlikely, this schedule may be changed by the teacher due to unforeseen circumstances. Always reference the studio calendar online through My Music Staff for the most updated calendar.
- Students may choose to discontinue lessons with 30 days notice. Any remaining prepaid lessons will not be refunded, including cancelled lessons not yet rescheduled. The teacher may discontinue teaching a student at any time. In this case, the student will be reimbursed for any prepaid lessons that have not been taught. Students will not be reimbursed for instruments or other items they purchased.
- Books and other necessary materials will be obtained by the teacher and reimbursed by the student. These items are nonrefundable nor exchangeable once they have been purchased from the teacher.
- Studio recitals are optional performances, although highly encouraged; the teacher will determine if a student is prepared to perform in a recital and/or other event.
- There may be additional fees for recitals, performances and other events. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure adequate preparation for each event. If a student is withdrawn from an event by parents or the teacher, fees will not be refunded. The teacher reserves the right to establish event criteria, performance readiness criteria, and the ability to withdraw a student from an event.
- All students, regardless of age, level or schedules, will be expected to practice a minimum of 30 minutes, 5-6 times per week. Consult the Student Handbook for more information. Students are expected to comply with all of the guidelines specified in the Student Handbook.
- For children second grade and under, one parent is required to be present and attentive during the lesson. Infants and toddlers cannot be present during lessons. Parents with young students will be expected to sit daily at home with young students while they practice. For maximum success, parents are encouraged to be present at all lessons for students of any age.
Lesson Cancellations and Summer Lessons
- During the School Year: Students may cancel 3 lessons per academic year with prior notice to the teacher. Missed lessons without prior notice before the start of the lesson will not be rescheduled or refunded/credited. Cancelled lessons will be rescheduled in the summer. It is the student’s responsibility to reschedule these lessons.
- Sibling share/swap: Families with multiple children taking lessons may “share or swap” lessons between siblings. For instance, one sibling may take an extra lesson from another sibling who is unable to attend; the sibling would take the lesson during the normally scheduled day and time. This does not count as a cancelled lesson.
- Student swap: Students may “swap” lesson times (i.e. switch days/times with another student) instead of canceling. This will be coordinated and planned by the students, not the teacher. In the event of a swap with another student, the teacher must be notified prior to the start of the lesson.
- In the case of inclement weather: In the event that Katy ISD schools are closed or close early due to weather conditions, lessons for that day will be cancelled. The lessons will be rescheduled in the summer.
- Regarding KISD vacation time that occurs during the school year: Katy ISD vacations/student holidays may not coincide with The Piano Spot studio calendar. Please reference the studio calendar for lesson schedules. Lessons may be scheduled on student holidays and/or government holidays.
- Regarding Summer Vacation: All students will pay in advance in May for 4 summer lessons at their current lesson rate from the academic year in order to maintain a spot in the studio throughout the summer and into the Fall. Additional summer lessons may also be scheduled. Weekly lessons are highly encouraged. Students are expected to practice throughout the summer.
- Rescheduling Summer Lessons: Students may cancel or request to reschedule 1 scheduled lesson in the summer with less than 48 hours notice. Students may reschedule additional summer lessons with a minimum of 48 hours notice. Additional rescheduling requests or cancellations for which 48 hours notice was not provided will not be rescheduled nor credited/refunded.
- Tardiness: Students will not be refunded for missed portions of lessons due to tardiness. Lessons will begin and end at the scheduled time.
- Teacher Absence: In the event the teacher is not able to be present for a lesson, the lesson will be rescheduled according to the rescheduling policy.
- Students and those attending lessons, recitals, competitions, or other events through The Piano Spot, KMTA or other hosting organizations agree to hold harmless Kathleen Daugherty, the property owners of The Piano Spot studio and/or owners and operators of other related venues and functions from any and all liability pertaining to but not limited to physical, personal, emotional injury and/or property damage.
- The teacher reserves the right to amend this policy at any time. The policy will remain in effect until further notice.
Studio Policy Agreement
Please sign below and return only this page to the teacher. For parents with multiple children taking lessons, only one signed sheet is necessary. List all of the children’s names below. The teacher must have a signed copy prior to lessons beginning and/or continuing. Please keep a copy of this policy for reference. Contact the teacher with questions. “I have received a copy of The Piano Spot Studio Policy and Handbook (2018-2019) and have read and reviewed the policy with my child/children. I agree to comply with these requirements.”
Please print name(s) of student(s)
Signature of parent
Print name of parent