The Piano Spot Studio Policy
Fall 2019–Summer 2020
Tuition, Studio Schedule and General Guidelines
- Weekly private lessons will be taught in 30, 45, and 60 minute sessions. Students must have acoustic pianos at home for practicing.
- Tuition is paid monthly August through June and is due on the 1st of the month (for example, the August payment is due August 1, September payment September 1, etc.). Tuition includes 35 lessons during the academic year and 4 summer lessons (39 lessons total). Monthly tuition fees are $135 for 30-minute lessons, $180 for 45-minute lessons, and $235 for 60-minute lessons.
- A $10 fee will be applied to late payments. Payments that have not been received within 5 calendar days of the due date may result in the student’s next lesson being cancelled and forfeited. In the event that a check does not clear, the student agrees to pay the amount owed, any bank fees that the teacher incurred as a result, plus 10% of the amount owed. Payments can be made by check, cash, or through electronic banking options (such as Chase QuickPay, Zelle, etc.).
- Books and other necessary materials will be obtained by the teacher and paid for by the student.
- There are no additional fees for recitals as recital fees are included in the monthly tuition. There may be additional fees for festivals, competitions and other optional events. Event fees are nonrefundable. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure adequate preparation for each event. The teacher reserves the right to establish event criteria, performance readiness criteria and the ability to withdraw a student from an event.
- For the academic year 2019-2020, students will be scheduled for weekly lessons beginning August 18, 2019, through May 21, 2020, with the following exceptions. On these dates, no lessons will be taught:
- September 1 and 2, 2019 (Labor Day weekend)
- October 31, 2019 (Halloween)
- November 23 – 30, 2019 (Thanksgiving Break)
- December 21, 2019 – January 04, 2020 (Winter Break)
- March 7 – 14, 2020 (Spring Break)
Although unlikely, this schedule may be changed by the teacher. Always reference the studio calendar online through My Music Staff for the most updated calendar.
- Teacher Flex Days: If needed, there will be 1 Tuesday, 1 Wednesday, and 1 Thursday of scheduled lessons that the teacher cancels during the academic school year. These have been factored into the schedule (these students will still receive 35 lessons during the academic year and 39 total). If these days are not used by the teacher (if the lessons are not cancelled), no lessons will be taught on May 19, 20, and 21, 2020.
- All students, regardless of age, level or schedules, will be expected to practice a minimum of 30 minutes, 5-6 times per week. Consult the Student Handbook for more information. Students are expected to comply with all of the guidelines specified in the Student Handbook.
- For children second grade and under, one parent is required to be present and attentive during the lesson. Infants and toddlers cannot be present during lessons. Parents with young students will be expected to sit daily at home with students while they practice. For maximum success, parents are encouraged to be present at all lessons for students of any age.
- Students may choose to discontinue lessons with 30 days notice. If the student terminates lessons before the summer, cancelled lessons from the academic year will not be rescheduled and will be forfeited.
Lesson Cancellations and Summer Lessons
- During the School Year: Students may cancel lessons during the academic year (between August 18 – May 21) with prior notice to the teacher and can reschedule them the following summer. The monthly tuition fee is the same regardless of cancelled lessons or attendance. Missed lessons without prior notice of cancellation before the start of the lesson will not be rescheduled.
- Sibling share/swap: Families with multiple children taking lessons may “share or swap” lessons between siblings. For instance, one sibling may take an extra lesson from another sibling who is unable to attend; the sibling would take the lesson during the normally scheduled day and time. This does not count as a cancelled lesson.
- Student swap: Students may “swap” lesson times (i.e. switch days/times with another student) instead of canceling. This will be coordinated and planned by the students, not the teacher. In the event of a swap with another student, the teacher must be notified prior to the start of the lesson.
- In the case of inclement weather: In the event that Katy ISD schools are closed or close early due to weather conditions, lessons for that day will be cancelled. If a student is a student of another school district and that district closes but KISD is open, that student’s lesson will be cancelled if the parent notifies the teacher and requests cancellation. The cancelled lessons will be rescheduled in the summer.
- Katy ISD and other district’s vacation days and/or student holidays may not coincide with The Piano Spot studio calendar. Please reference the studio calendar for lesson schedules. Lessons may be scheduled on student holidays and/or government holidays.
- Regarding Summer Vacation: All students will pay in advance on or before June 1 for 4 summer lessons in order to maintain a spot in the studio throughout the summer and into the fall. Students may request additional summer lessons. Weekly lessons are highly encouraged. Students are expected to practice throughout the summer.
- Rescheduling Summer Lessons: Students may cancel or request to change/reschedule 1 scheduled lesson in the summer with less than 48 hours notice. Students may reschedule or change additional summer lessons with 48 hours notice.
- Tardiness: Lessons will begin and end at the scheduled time.
- Teacher Absence: In the event the teacher has to cancel a lesson other than for Teacher Flex Days, the lesson will be rescheduled in the summer.
- Students and those attending lessons, recitals, competitions, or other events through The Piano Spot, KMTA or other hosting organizations agree to hold harmless Kathleen Daugherty, the property owners of The Piano Spot studio and/or owners and operators of other related venues and functions from any and all liability pertaining to but not limited to physical, personal, emotional injury and/or property damage.
- If a student, student’s sibling(s), or parents cause damage to The Piano Spot property or to other venues/property during Piano Spot events, the parents agree to pay for the damage.
- The teacher reserves the right to amend this policy at any time. The policy will remain in effect until further notice. If the policy is changed, students will be notified in writing.
Studio Policy Agreement
Please sign below and return this page to the teacher. For parents with multiple children taking lessons, only one signed sheet is necessary. List all of the children’s names below. Please keep a copy of this policy for reference. Contact the teacher with questions. “I have received a copy of The Piano Spot Studio Policy and Handbook (2019-2020) and have read and reviewed the policy with my child/children. I agree to comply with these requirements.”
Please print name(s) of student(s)
Signature of parent
Print name of parent